Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cozy Crock Pot Comfort

It's a snowy Saturday here in Charlotte and I am forced to stay in snuggled up but trying with all my might to make it a productive and happy day. I could think of nothing more lovely having MM here to snuggle inside with me on this frigid Saturday afternoon...thank goodness I am hopping on a plane in only 12 days!

It seems as though an arctic snap of sorts has hit everywhere so it seems only appropriate to share a warm savory soup recipe that was a hit with the Nidos a few weeks ago. Andi got the genius idea to buy me a crock pot for Christmas and I am absolutely in LOVE with it. I have used it twice already and is perfect for meals during the work week. Between busy days at work and bustling around with time in between trying to fit in my wedding planning, delicious food is a must and easy recipes are key. This chicken tortilla soup is like a little fiesta in your mouth. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and it's a keeper! All of the ingredients are super fresh and throwing it in the crock pot takes no time at all.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
  • 1 (15 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
  • 1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen corn
  • 1 tbsp. cilantro
  • Sliced avocado and lime to garnish
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours on or high setting for 3 to 4 hours.

I was feeling extra punchy as I hosted my family for dinner and decided to make my own corn tortilla strips for garnish. I bought fresh corn tortillas, cut them in strips, sprayed with olive oil cooking spray and a small sprinkle of salt. I baked them at 425 for 8 minutes and they were the perfect touch.

I was then inspired to use the leftover corn tortillas as a sweet ending to our meal as I cut them in quarters, sprinkled with cooking spray and cinnamon and sugar, and baked on 425 for 8 minutes. I served this with vanilla ice cream and sauteed wild blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment