Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snowday Soup




After the snow rolled into town on Tuesday night, we were pretty much snowed in for most of the week. Thank goodness I was smart enough to stock up at the grocery store on Monday and our fridge (and bellies) were set for the week. After going out in the snow and attempting (then failing) the build a snowman with the powdery dust, I couldn't think of a better lunch than tomato soup. When it snows, my mind immediately goes to waking up to a white blanket, reading Happy Winter and spending the day playing in the fluffy white magic with my sisters. My childhood favorite came from a Campbell's can but I wanted to try a more grown up version. I got my inspiration from Martha Stewart and Giada and the leftovers I ate today for lunch were just as good, if not better than on our snow day lunch. If you are craving something bad enough, sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands and make it yourself! The only thing I left off of my grocery list was some crusty French Boule bread for dunking!

Spicy Tomato & Cannellini Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans
1 tbsp. dried basil
Olive Oil
Crushed Red Pepper
Salt & Pepper

Sautee onion, garlic and olive oil in a 2 quart pan until onion is transparent and garlic is bubbling, about 5-8 minutes. Add tomatoes and chicken broth, salt, pepper, dried basil and crushed red pepper to taste. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Blend the soup using an immersion blender, breaking up any large chunks of tomatoes, but not turning the soup into a puree. Bring back to a simmer again. Rinse and drain the beans, then add them to the soup, simmering for another 10 minutes. Serve with a garnish of parmesean cheese, a big piece of crusty bread, or better yet, a fresh grilled cheese!

More snow is on the way the next few days but nothing compared to the Snowmageddon we experienced last week. We are now settling in for the Super Bowl, homemade pizza, homemade chocolate chunk ice cream and even more exciting than the big game...a new episode of Glee!! And as if that is not enough celebrating, I have two more reasons for giant smiles and lots of love today. My sweet Grandma, Vera is celebrating her 80th birthday today and her birthday twin, Sweet Crystal is celebrating today, too. Two of my most favorite people in the world and I love them both so, so much. Hope everyone has had a lovely winter weekend. Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment